Friday 27 January 2012

Just Planning and Wishing and Dreaming........

The first of the seed catalogs arrived from Veseys Seeds a couple of weeks ago. As my gardening experience grows I enjoy more and more sitting quietly in the cold months picking out what I will grow in the coming years.

More and more I have also tried to choose heirloom vegetable seeds, I think is extremely important to preserve these heritage vegetables with their diverse and unique traits. Of course thismoften requires a bit more effort as one needs to start there seeds at home in order to take advantage of all the diversity, for instance there are many moe varieties of tomatoes. These tomatoes, however most likely won't be the ones you find already grown at the store, these heirloom varaties must be started with time and love. The results however can be very rewarding higher yields, earlier crop, better flavor the list goes on. Today we have lost over 90% of our vegetable diversity it's vital we don't let anymore varieties become extinct so planting and saving these vital seeds is a huge step to making your garden more future friendly. Another new thing I have been learning about our seed saving techniques, in general the knowledge of seed saving has largely disappeared from the home gardners repertoire. Saving seeds year after year will allow us to preserve these heirloom species as well as create new heirlooms to pass down to future generations. Hopefully in the fall if this gardening journey goes well I will write more about my experiences with seed saving.





No comments:

Post a Comment