Friday 12 October 2012

Until we meet again......

Well fall is here and I have failed yet again to maintain this blog but, I have had a wonderful productive garden this year.
 I pulled five gorgeous buttercup squash from my garden two of which I have already eaten and loved.  Buttercup squash was a first for me, this little plant started off small and I thought had been killed by a late frost, but it has been one of those garden surprises.  My love for this little squash is huge definitely on the list for next year. here is how I prepared my squash. First I cut my buttercup squash in half removed seeds and roasted cut side down in a covered pan ( I used tinfoil) with a little water at 350 for about an hour, then scooped out the flesh mashed it with some salt and butter and topped it with some grated Parmesan delish!!  I've had both failures and success and discovered many things to do differently next year.  I took lots of notes and pictures so hopefully I can post a bit here in the winter months about my garden and inspire myself and others for next year.  I am really happy with the haul from my garden this year I achieved my goal of producing veggies to eat right from spring to summer starting with an amazing crop of broccoli and finishing with a huge harvest of tomatoes.    As winter approaches and preserving the fall harvest winds down I am really going to miss popping out to the garden to pick the vegetables for dinner, but in my mind I'm already plotting out next years garden. Actually I still have many things still happily residing in the garden including leeks, parsnips, swiss chard, carrots, celery (in my covered bed) kale, arugula, pac choi, and spinach.  The last three I planted in August and will hopefully last till December extending my garden by a few months, they are all tucked in and covered now but have been doing great.




No comments:

Post a Comment